Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Elliptical Therapy

Yesterday I didn't have time to work out in the morning so I fit it in right before work. Yes, I was gross, but luckily when you work at a gym, it's a lot more acceptable. Anyway, since I had already done an hour before work, I rationalized I had too much stuff to do so I wouldn't work out after work too, like I do most days. I was pretty much in a bad mood the whole afternoon at work worrying about all the stuff I have going on: last week of classes this week, finals next week (and one tomorrow), moving out of my apartment by next Thursday, finding a job for the summer (either in Texas or Oklahoma), and Whitney's bachelorette weekend/lingerie shower next weekend. There's a couple other things, but I can't really get into them here.

I left work and was driving home, really frustrated and stressed and wanting to hit something (yes, I have anger issues). I stopped at Subway and was going through the line thinking I really should go back and work out and get some stress out. So I dropped off the sandwich at home and drove back to the gym. I plugged in my ipod, got on the elliptical and was way ahead of the pace I usually keep, which was proof I had a lot of agression I needed to get out. Usually when I work out, I just put my ipod on shuffle and it randomly goes through the 2000 or so songs I have on there (no, I don't actually like all of them and probably close to half need to be deleted). Anyway, I was going hard and my mind was racing with everything I needed to do when Jesus Take the Wheel came on. It made me stop (not literally because I was in a zone and couldn't stop to ponder) and think that I am so bad about trying to take on everything in my life without ever asking God for help. I know I wouldn't be nearly as angry and stressed if I would just give everything over to him and let him have control over my life. So I said a little prayer that he would guide me through all the chaos and help me realize that I need to turn to him a lot more than I do. When I got done with my workout I was so refreshed and felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I also realized that my workout time is a great opportunity to spend some time with God in prayer. Moral of the story: turn to God when things get tough and let him have control - I guarantee it will turn out a lot better than if you try to handle it yourself. Also. working out is a great stress reliever and I highly recommend it.

Oh and the song that came on after my epiphany was Jessica Simpson's "I Think I'm in Love with You", which is a whole other story that I can't talk about on a public blog...

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love reading what you write... I love you so much!

The Davidsons said...

Love you Lan - good story - brings a tear to my eye!

Amy said...

Jesus Take the Wheel has helped me in more than one situation before. I've had the same type of thing happen to me so I know exactly how you felt. And what is this about "love"? Are you crushing on someone? ;)

Amy said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but I just saw one of the blogs you're following and it's Brooke Ogilvie (spelling?) photography and the first couple she has on her blog is a couple I know really well! Well, I know Lindsey really well! What a small world!